Here is your ‘what’s in your diaper bag’ check-in! Are the ingredients in your baby products working for your family? When trying out new baby products, allergic reactions can happen. As parents first, we know this first hand. We had no issues with the brand of diapers and wipes we used for our first two children. When we began using this same brand with our third, however, we realized something had to change.
Hypoallergenic refers to something being either void of allergens completely or having fewer allergens than normal. This means a less likely allergic reaction. Every baby is different, and this includes how their sensitive skin may react to products.
Allergic reactions to wipes
Allergic reactions can vary from baby to baby, some symptoms may be:
- A persistent diaper rash that spreads to other parts of the body
- A scaly, itchy rash on baby’s bottom, mouth, hands; anywhere a wipe might be used
- Redness and swelling
- Bumps on the skin that develop into sore blisters
- Peeling skin
These symptoms are common with different skin irritations, so we do advise checking with your family’s doctor no matter what the suspected cause.
A spreading rash may be an allergic reaction to the baby wipes being used. Some chemicals that are potentially allergy-inducing, as well as commonly found in baby wipes, are:
- Tocopheryl acetate: a synthetic form of Vitamin E that may cause a rash if baby is allergic
- Petrol-based propylene glycol: a petroleum-based chemical often found in everyday products
- Fragrances: Fragrances can be irritating to sensitive skin, as well as our noses. When diapers and wipes contain fewer chemicals, they don’t need to mask that chemical smell with added fragrances.
- Alcohol: Alcohol can dry out your baby’s sensitive skin
- Parabens: If allergic, parabens may cause itching, swelling, and/or pain
Ingredients selected for sensitive skin
Eco Pea Co. wipes are hypoallergenic wipes. Take a look at our baby wipes ingredients list to see what goes into our products, why these ingredients are chosen, as well as their environmental impact:
Classic Bamboo Wipes
- Water: acts as the primary moistener in our wipes.
- Glycerine: this naturally occurring chemical compound is biodegradable and provides skins conditioning
- Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract: our grandmothers have taught us all about the magic that is aloe; this biodegradable skin conditioner provides a natural scent, too
- Gluconolactone: an organic, biodegradable compound that holds moisture
- Sodium Benzoate: an odorless, crystalline powder that prevents wipe deterioration but is biodegradable as well
- Calcium Gluconate: a skin soothing moisturizer that is biodegradable
- Coco-Glucoside: made from the reaction between glucose and coconut oil-derived ingredients (science that sounds tasty!), this ingredient is a skin conditioner ideal for sensitive skin - and it is biodegradable!
- Citric Acid: a mild, organic acid that regulates PH, provides scent, and is biodegradable
New Unbleached Wipes
- Water: as above, and acts as a solvent
- Polyhexamethylene Biguanide HCL: this ingredient is non-biodegradable, but it does prevent the growth of harmful bacteria
- Sodium Benzoate: prevents harmful bacteria and is biodegradable
- Decyl Glucoside: a biodegradable, mild, cleaning agent
- Ethylhexylglycerin: provides skin conditioning and is biodegradable
- Hydroxyacetophenone: a skin conditioner with antioxidants that is biodegradable
- Gluconolactone: a dose of hydration and is biodegradable
- Citric Acid: adjust PH balance and is biodegradable
- Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract: as above, who doesn’t appreciate an ingredient found in nature?
- Chamomile Recutita Extract: a soothing extract found in nature, where it will return after biodegrading
- Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract: hydrating, found in nature, biodegradable
- Silicone Antifoam Emulsion (Water, PPG-34, Dimethicone Silylate): these mixed materials are partially biodegradable and prevent product spoilage
Eco Pea Co. products
Our products are mindfully made. We made the simplest diapers, designed from our own family’s need for a gentle, safe and eco-conscious solution. Eco Pea Co. products are made with the natural goodness of bamboo and without things like chlorine, fragrances or irritating chemicals. See our transparency page for more information on what goes into our diapers and baby wipes.